Attorney Phillip J. Cohn, also at MyChildsRights.com, is a Member of the firm. His practice areas include education law (with a focus on special education and student discipline matters), criminal law (with a focus on representing juvenile offenders and young adults), and family law (with a focus on child custody and visitation matters). Attorney Cohn has successfully represented families throughout Connecticut, and he has been published in several prominent journals.
A team approach to education law and defending children’s rights
Phillip provides confidential and comprehensive legal advocacy and educational consulting services to help parents manage the unique challenges associated with a child in need of educational and treatment options. He utilizes a network of special education advocates and educational consultants as part of a team approach to education law for children with special needs and at-risk teens. His team will work every step of the way to (1) identify needs; (2) provide the spectrum of educational and treatment options; and (3) advocate for solutions that protect the family’s legal rights.
Customized services include:
- Finding the right educational placement and/or treatment program (including therapeutic wilderness programs, day schools, and boarding schools).
- Coordinating the placement / treatment options with current providers – including schools, mental health facilities, and clinical professionals.
- Funding the placement and/or treatment – we explore all available avenues, including funding through local public school districts for out-of-district placements under State and Federal Law.
- Acquiring specialized assessment services (psychological, educational, and psychiatric).
- Managing the risk – Legal representation in criminal matters and advocacy for alternatives to incarceration.
- Planning for the future (financial / estate planning): Wills, Trusts, Guardianship, Conservatorship
- Protecting families in crisis: Legal representation in divorce and child custody matters.
Attorney Cohn presents seminars on children’s rights to parents, advocates, and educators throughout Connecticut. His popular seminar, entitled “Special Education Law: Attorneys Representing Parents and School Boards Discuss the Issues,” addresses what every parent should know about his or her child’s basic special education rights, both inside and outside of school. This innovative seminar gives parents the opportunity to learn how attorneys representing parents and school boards each approach disputes, including how early collaboration can resolve disputes with better results and at lower costs for families.
Attorney Cohn attained his B.A. from Brandeis University, where he graduated magna cum laude with high honors. He obtained his Juris Doctor degree from St. John’s University School of Law.